Phoenix Wings

Lately
You've been putting that
Rebel tongue
To good use
Lighting matchstick bars
Sparking bold ideas
Onto quiet lips

Still, you manage to fill
My chalice to brim
Every morning
Replacing my need
For that cup of joe
With a need for your
Grand rising prose
-Soul medicine
My daily dose
Has grown addicting
Coursing electricity
To the farthest reaches
Of my extremities
You set my body on fire
The way destruction
Can birth new life
From fertile soil
Hands no strangers
To the toil of tending
An impossible garden
Prone to self sabotage
You ancestors have taught
How to weather
Inclement conditions
With resilience and nurture

Don't mistake chem trails
For my cloudy sighs
Forcing summer streams
From dry eyes
I have never experienced
A drought of emotion
Rather cracked all my dams
I've given up
Holding back this ocean
And there you are
With open sails and compass
Navigating freckled starlight
To the refuge of my
Cave of wonders

Words have a tendency
Flowing fluently
From you
In tolling thunder
Even Zeus himself
Grows envious
Of the electric
Currents between us
Headlining
Current events
Revolutionary poets
Modern day Malcom X
With bars like K Dot
History in your DNA
Twisted refined Wild
Like your overgrown locks
Catching
Energetic frequencies
Through your network ancestry
Embedded into every follicle

Teach me
How to speak tongues
Onto reverent sheets
Begging to burst into flames
Teach me
The power of
Earth shatter
Resonating in
Echoes of your name
You've got me
Intent
On checking out
Your fine print
Hanging on
By the crest of every consonant

Solar eclipse
Has me speaking your praises
In summertime sonnets
Ignited
Under moonless sky
And a mess of constellations
You said you'd always be here for
Everything messy
Bed, hair, life
Well-versed
In mosaic past
And collected clipped wings
My eyes have adjusted
To the darkness
Now you're the brightest beam
In my night
You are more burning bush
Than lighthouse
Somehow making miracles
Out of lost sheep
And even though
I don't believe in luck
I still stumbled upon you
Like a four-leaf clover
Or an out-of-season fig tree
Blossoming in the desert

You are far more than snack
To quench the soul
Of our starving people
Awaiting a springtime of wellness
For their spilled blood
Refreshed by your
Perspective
And unhinged words
I could follow you into the horizon
Or onto the pages of books
Ink-stained solace
Of growth
Into Godliness
Mufasa's Mane
And Phoenix wings

My Love,
I have been
Without religion
For some time
Still I find myself easily
Encompassed
In your prophesies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origins

I don’t want to write poetry anymore I just wanna talk shit

Which Apocalypse Are You Rooting For?