Honeysuckle

I decided today that I can no longer look you in the eyes
Without envisioning clear blue skies dipped in the golden honey of California sunshine
And I can't think of honey without thinking of how sweet
Your kiss must taste as it misses my cheek
And plants two lips into the soil of my dirty mouth
So every word I utter is beautiful and smells of springtime
And no syllable is ever too loud
Just a lulling chime barely above a whisper
Just enough to make the puppies whimper
And howl at the moon in hunger for something warm, and fragile, and tender,
And gushing from being torn wide open and vulnerable
Like the poetry of a young lover
Lying on a table with a toe tag and heartstring casualties embroidered into letterman sleeves
No I do not believe in trite romance
Nor the chance to press my soft curves into your rough hands
So you may mold me into any shape you like
That I might slip through your clumsy fingers and get lost in other beautiful skies throughout the night

By Reese Darko

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origins

I don’t want to write poetry anymore I just wanna talk shit

Co-ping