Everything

Mom, Dad, teacher, friend,

Life coach, therapist, love guru,

Seriously, the list does not end…

My Mom always was, is, and will be, EVERYTHING

Equal parts enamoring and terrifying


I remember as a child 

Forever pining for her tickles before bed

However panicked every evening

Hearing her heavy steps

Clamoring as she climbed our iron staircase after a ten-hour shift

Little hands desperately fanning the tv to remove traces of our lazy mischief

Spoiler alert, she always found out anyway

Apparently in addition to being everything, she really knew everything too


Momma Dukes is one of the sweetest, most compassionate, and deepest people

Kind, articulate, and true

She has also been known to be a little bit of a scrappy chick with an incredibly short fuse

Oh, how the feet never stray too far from the shoes

Such big ones to fill…


My mom did her best to raise me in a way

I could learn self-respect, love and faith

I can honestly say, to this day, she raises me still


Raises my spirits, hopes

Raises my awareness of who I can and want to be

Raises bar of my ambitions

Raising her voice even louder to praise every little victory


With my Mom in my corner

I can face anything


This is a THANK YOU to my mom for all she has given me,

Everything she has taught me

For every pen she has put in my hand, for every sheet of looseleaf

For showing me how to turn life into poetry 

For praying for our family,

Teaching to keep God in my heart, scripture on my lips

For lifting us in all our darkest moments

For showing us to not take anyone’s shit

And revealing every little gift this life has to offer

For being a woman I not only emulate, but honor


All her love

All her stories

All our incredible memories,

And all the more to come with time…


Bottom line

My mom would definitely beat your mom in a fight

But she is wise enough to not have to

To my Mom, Dad, teacher, friend,

Life coach, therapist, love guru….

I love you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origins

I don’t want to write poetry anymore I just wanna talk shit

Co-ping