Blessed

Some mornings I wake with a heavy head

Several knots up in my chest

Realizations I may have caused this mess

And I just can’t catch my breath 


I remind myself

I

Am

Blessed


Some days are easier than others

This one, yeah, this one was hard

In the throes of an aching heart

Like one more jab just may tear a bitch apart


I remind myself

I

Am

Blessed


They say sticks and stones can hurt you

Still it’s been shown,

The most damaging words can be your own

When you feel fallen off your throne

Scared of silent moments whenever you’re alone


Remind yourself

I

Am

Blessed


I know you feel blessed on payday

But did you know,

You are even moreso when you feel broke

When you feel tested, bested, and beaten

When you’ve damn near lost all hope

Man that’s when you’ve been blessed the most

God never said this would be easy

In fact, right there in scripture it is written

The greatest gifts are often hidden

Blessings can come in the hardest of lessons

When you’re at your lowest

Know that is when the Lord is most present


Whether you’ve got fresh new kicks,

Or fresh bruises and licks,

Remind yourself

I

Am

Blessed


Over a home cooked meal

Or one you had to steal

Remind yourself

I

Am

Blessed


On the anniversary of your wedding day

Or the day God took your baby back to heaven’s gates 

Remind yourself

We are blessed

His plan is far bigger than this moment 

What a gift to even be a part of it


This life can be a prison

If you remain blinded to the eden

The wellspring of laughter and love we’ve all been given

Despite imbalances of chances

Based on social circumstances

Or identification solely by your finances


From the womb to the hearse 

Remember only you

can dictate your worth

So make sure

You make familiar

Your mouth with the Word

You’ll find every sentence you speak

Will eventually be heard


Because

We

Are

So blessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origins

I don’t want to write poetry anymore I just wanna talk shit

Co-ping