Arthur Reese

Crooked smirk, chubby cheeks
Some people say you resemble me
But you are every bit unique
Peppered with the duality
Of your Daddy's interests
Your Mama's mischief
Your Grandma's heart
And your Papa's affinity for Sweet Tarts

Silly and smiling we sway and sing
You get that twinkle in your eyes when you're learning,
Beautiful little thing
The way you suck your lips in when you're thinking...
Or when you're hiding something
Brightly radiating
Like the days of summer on which you were born
Water in Sun resonates warmth
A balance between adventure and emotion
Equally tumultuous, waves of ocean
Crashing playfully against the shore

When I look at you, I see more..
More to experience, more to grow
I daydream about all the places we'll go
To give our Wild the space it needs
To wiggle our toes
Test all the waters we have yet to see
I promise, I have so many plans for you and me
They're closer than you think

Just reach up for the stars babe
They're closer than you think

That's why I grind
Everyday of the week
I'm sitting up in bed
Far past the time
You lay your head
Down to sleep
I know sometimes you just miss me
Might seem like I go missing
Whenever you're wishing
I could be there to hold you at nighttime
Just know you're never far from my mind
You're the reason I do what I do
To pursue a life that can be proudly mine,
Crafting a better future that can be yours too..

I blinked and you were two
Another birthday coming up soon
What kind of mother doesn't remember the size of her own kid's shoes

The inadequacy plagues me
I look at all the moms who like to judge and rate me
I'm sorry I didn't let parenting rape me
Of my individuality
But don't you dare ever challenge my reality of motherhood
And how I've adapted it to my livelihood
Tell me what the fuck it takes to make a mother "good"

Is it being able to pay bills on time?
Is it cooking every night?
Is it reading you stories before bed?
Is it remembering to measure your height?
Is it spanking you when you're bad?
Is it feeding you organic?
Is it buying you musical toys and actually being able to stand it?
Hours and hours of the same songs on repeat..
I try to stimulate you creatively
But to be honest, sometimes parenting makes me somewhat manic
No, I do not panic
No, I do not suffer from post-partum
I'm simply asking for your pardon
If you've ever felt like your childhood was martyred

If you could clearly speak, what would you say?
Would you reminisce about all the fun games we play,
Our cuddly mornings, and nightly routines
Even though I still struggle to get you to brush your teeth..
Would you remember my tickle attacks
And jumping into piles of leaves?
Red, orange, gold
Your fire smoldering soul
Just tell me you'll stay golden even when you grow old

Comments

  1. this poem is pretty good. not your best or worst.
    I found it to fixate upon yourself rather than your son or motherhood per se. it was about you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Origins

I don’t want to write poetry anymore I just wanna talk shit

Co-ping