She Is Strong

I’ve mastered the art of applying band-aids over axe wounds


With magical mommy kisses

Suddenly everything is all better, right?

Turning away blindly

Ignoring the smell of rotting flesh

Infection spreading to my chest, my throat, my words

Resentment echoes between nouns and verbs


I can hardly take action

Paralyzed by what I need to do

Feeding into distractions to feel momentary escape

From the copious helpings on my plate

With no one to help me finish it


I am a strong goddess

I got it… I’ll be okay


I’ve been drowning for a while

Deciding how to breathe underwater

My gills are learning to adjust

To breathing in the mud


They want money, they want blood

They wanna see me in a standstill


Hovering closely 

With a magnifying glass over this anthill

Burning my feelers… until I’m numb 

And all I have left is to get this shit done


Pick myself up like I always have

Because I’ve never needed a handout

Just a hug, or someone to say

Everything will be okay

We can take this day by day together 


It’s never been easy

Having no one physically in my corner 

Only ever cheering from spectators’ seats

I need help, I need a coach, I need a coroner

To wipe blood off my cheek

Check if my pulse is still going

Even though my heart’s been checking out slowly


Because I am a strong goddess

I got this, no doubt

I’ll figure it all out eventually…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origins

I don’t want to write poetry anymore I just wanna talk shit

Co-ping